Monday, April 29, 2013

Rhudolf is that you?

5:15PM Monday - arriving home from work. me - What the ...
Let me back up

6:30AM Monday - My 2nd freshener Nigerian doe, Rhubi, is having a rough labor, I pull out #1 kid head first, a doeling who was dead. Then, I pull out # 2 kid, correct position but dead. # 3 kid, a doeling was alive and well. Rhubi passes placenta with # 3 kid. I take my time getting a shower and getting ready for work, go out and check on mother and daughter one more time, leave for work.

5:15PM Monday - wonder if I'm seeing double. Who/what the heck is that? Rhudolf is that you? Sometime during the day Rhubi delivered two more, a buckling and a doeling but the doeling was dead.

All 5 kids were fully formed and decent size. And yes, after # 3 kid, she passed her placenta. I'll chalk it up to a new experience.


3 comments:

Tammy said...

Wow...what an experience! That little Rudolph was one lucky little feller. What a neat surprise though and I'm glad you got two live ones out of it. I've had ewes deliver a placenta with each baby before, so it doesn't always mean what it should! ha...Always something new....

Tammy

Dot said...

Wow is just what I was thinkin! Don't know how Mama can even stand up after all that... Congratulations to all...you too.

Chicken Boys said...

5? Is that normal? Poor thing!