Sunday, October 14, 2012

Rhubarb, Word Trick, Football Pool, and Birthday Party

One of my coworkers has harvested some rhubarb from his garden and is challenging me to bake some rhubarb pies. I'm studying some recipes. Think I'll try this one: Lattice-Topped-Strawberry-Rhubarb-Pie

For crust 3 cups all purpose flour 2 1/2 teaspoons sugar 3/4 teaspoon salt 2/3 cup chilled solid vegetable shortening, cut into pieces 1/2 cup plus 2 tablespoons (1 1/4 sticks) chilled unsalted butter, cut into pieces 10 tablespoons (about) ice water

For filling 3 1/2 cups 1/2-inch-thick slices trimmed rhubarb (1 1/2 pounds untrimmed) 1 16-ounce container strawberries, hulled, halved (about 3 1/2 cups) 1/2 cup (packed) golden brown sugar 1/2 cup sugar 1/4 cup cornstarch 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon 1/4 teaspoon salt 1 large egg yolk beaten to blend with 1 teaspoon water.
 
This is my vision of the how pies will look. Wish me luck.

*********************************************
I've been having lots of fun with two of my California cousins, sisters Ann and Crystal, playing FaceBook's Word Trick. It's similar to Scrabble and Words With Friends. We keep games ongoing. Another reason I love the internet, keeps me connected to my west-coast family.
**************************************
Also, for the office-football pool, we have on the TV, computer for scores, and checking the master spreadsheet.
*************************************
This morning Jefferson was laying up in the hayloft catching some rays.
*************************************
This afternoon, we attended the dual birthday party for my mother-law Mary, and Mary's brother-inlaw Bobby.


two tasty cakes


James (Mike's Dad) was with us.






Mike had to check the football scores.

My inlaws own the skating rink where the party was held.



Honermooners Saava and Stephanie.

Wade trying to take a picture of me.


Mike's middle sister, Sandy.

Mike and his Aunt Bernice.

Mike's nephew, Garrick, and one of his daughters, Ellary.



The Kostis boys - Demetre, George, Saava

Mike's youngest sister, Tina.

No comments: