Friday, September 18, 2009

A Vagabond Song


A Vagabond Song by Bliss Carman

THERE is something in the autumn that is native to my blood—
Touch of manner, hint of mood;
And my heart is like a rhyme,
With the yellow and the purple and the crimson keeping time.

The scarlet of the maples can shake me like a cry
Of bugles going by.
And my lonely spirit thrills
To see the frosty asters like a smoke upon the hills.

There is something in October sets the gypsy blood astir;
We must rise and follow her,
When from every hill of flame
She calls and calls each vagabond by name.
**************************************
I especially love the line -
There is something in October sets the gypsy blood astir.
**************************************
There was a local gal, Hazel, who was one of those folks that was so smart she was insane. Hazel could recite Bliss Carman poems verbatim and then pass out on our public transportation buses. Hazel was mostly homeless, a hopeless alcoholic. She had tussled strawberry blond hair, her skin was usually badly bruised. I suspect she was somewhat of a "working" girl for little income. Hazel was very knowledgable on any subject matter.
*************************************
Do you remember the Bob Dylan line? "Its All Over Now, Baby Blue" includes the lyric, "The vagabond who's rapping at your door/is standing in the cloths that you once wore."
************************************
Hazel died a few years back.
************************************
Thanks Hazel for the Bliss Carman verses, you always entertained me, I thought you were a hoot. Cheers because I have fond memories of ya, I dig out The Vagabond Song every Fall just for you.

3 comments:

DianeLynn said...

What a beautiful poem. I think fall does bring that gypsy in some of us. I believe its the changing of nature and nature is moving on till come spring.

Boozy Tooth said...

I love the "gypsy blood astir" line too. Awesome poem. I'm longing for autumn even more now and will be seeing some turning of the leaves next month when I journey back to New York state.

Alison said...

Your description of Hazel was a fantastic character study. How sweet of you to take her into your heart like that.