Friday, July 17, 2009

eating "local," and guinea fowl

when I'm outside, my dear Franklin stays by my side. He's a Bourbon Red Turkey tom.


This time of year is my favorite, when whatever I gather, dictates what we have for supper. Don't get anymore "local" than this, great for my soul.


Farm fresh [goat] cheese with whatever seasonings I mix in.


fresh eggs


blue-lake beans


squash

cooking it up


I'm sitting down and Gabbi in my lap.


Caliente


Our three dogs - 16yr old Henry, and Irish Terriers Brawn, and Blissi


pure trouble


at 5:45AM this morning, the post office called to say the guinea's had arrived. I'm guessing they are 3 days old today.


their brooder is in the hay loft




32 pearl guinea's. Guinea fowl are good for eating bugs.

stay tuned to see how they grow up

9 comments:

Christy said...

Cute guineas. Mine are getting huge! Nice harvest.

Linda said...

I love guineas. My mother used to tell me they wore dotted Swiss dresses with red bows at their necks.

Are turkey toms not mean like roosters?

The Old Gray Egg said...

Yep! Life doesn't get much better. This is what small farming is all about. Does the color of Franklin's wattles change with his mood? If so, he looks to be in fine fettle.

Peggy said...

I miss seeing Fred, my turkey each day. He always talked to me. Nothing beats eating fresh from the garden!

Unknown said...

Ahh, your garden produce looks heavenly! Franklin fascinates me - I never imagined a turkey could be so tame and friendly. And the guineas - what adorable little fluff balls!

OK - may as well get to work on the last of the packing.

Nancy in Atlanta

Alison said...

Wow, you're looking pretty self-sufficient there! Are you going to eat any of the guineas, or are they for eggs & bug control?

When I saw that first picture of the chicks, before I read your text, I thought they were honeybees!

Teesa said...

Are all those veggies from your garden?? We definitely need to get out there some time. The guineas are adorable!

Kara said...

We are trying to eat local as much as possible too. Great photos!

Joanna@BooneDocksWilcox said...

I'll have to blog about it, people asking me about aren't roosters, etc mean. We don't have any mean animals at all. We live in harmony with ours.