Saturday, July 11, 2009

the goat is the cow of the poor

sums up our budget

Ironically, the poor man's cow produces some of the world's most expensive cheeses. Even in France, which produces more than two thirds of all the goat cheeses, they are generally regarded as luxury cheeses. Still, nowhere in the world are the prices of goat cheeses as high as they are in the United States.

On the farms, women made delicate fresh cheeses at home. Yet since such cheeses didn't transport well, they were eaten almost exclusively by the farmers, their family, and neighbors.

Our 7 Nigerian Dwarf Dairy boys below-

Buck MilkDud


Buckling Cahoot


Buckling Sundance with blue eyes


Buckling Deetz


Wether SugarPop


Wether Cubby


Wether Boones

7 comments:

diane said...

they are all so gorgeous!
especially sugarpop and deetz :)

Linda said...

Please pack Deetz clothes and put him/her on the train. I'll be at the station to greet him/her. Wonderful pictures. I love goats.

BlueRidge Boomer said...

Hey Girl!!!!.....i can see Idlewilde Road from my front porch...take Phillips Gap Rd. north....it turns into Dick Phillips Rd and that runs right by my house.....two log cabins on the a hill....the parental units live in the Lodge with the red tin roof and we're in the green roofed cabin below them.......!! Wave next time!!!

Enjoy......LindaMay

Christy said...

I made some of that expensive cheese today. It won't be ready to eat until tomorrow. I'll let you know how it turns out.

Mary Humphrey said...

I have the urge to make cheese too. It has been about 6 months since I have made any!

The "kids" look great!

Gizmo said...

Your boys are so handsome. I just love their names too!
We keep a pretty regular supply of those "luxury" cheeses around here. ;) And I also know why I'm invited to certain gatherings too...lol. ;)

Unknown said...

Your little cows are beautiful! I'm with Diane: I especially love the coloring in sugarpop and deetz, but they've all become real to me. I just want to reach into the computer monitor and hug them!

Nancy in Atlanta (countdown: 3 weeks)