Wednesday, January 23, 2013

Stracciatella Soup

“Stracciatella” (strah-chi-ah-tay-lah)

Most people think of Chinese food when they hear “egg drop soup,” but this version comes from Italy. Stracciatella means “little shreds” and refers to the strands of cooked egg that form when the soup is swirled.

It is prepared by beating eggs and adding grated parmesan cheese, salt, pepper, nutmeg, then adding this mixture to the hot broth. The broth is set whirling first with a whisk, and the beaten egg mixture added in a slow stream to produce the stracciatelle ("little shreds") of cooked egg in the broth, which is clarified by the process.


Tonight, I made a Stracciatella that included sausage, potatoes, spinach, lots of garlic, and chicken broth.  Cut the heat off of the boiling broth and added the whisked eggs/shredded parmesean mixture.  Oh my, I'm still licking my chops. 
*****************************************************
I've received two used soup books that I bought from Amazon.

Lorraine Wallace writes so lovingly about preparing soups for her family.

This looks like a good one too but haven't studied it yet.

No comments: