Thursday, February 26, 2009

blah, blah vs baa, baa

Been busy, on stuff that I don't have a passion for, earning a living. Don't get be wrong, I actually have a very good job, that many people would kill to have, but my heart is with Mother Earth and my animals (all animals).

Some of our Marans [Wheaten & Cuckoo] eggs that we have collected lately.

Mike took 6 doz eggs to my neighbor Teesa last week - I'm always urging y'all to try turkey eggs so here is what she happened to write on her blog.
To my GREAT delight, there was a turkey egg in the mix, as well as many Americauna eggs (they are blue/green and long). You should have seen Sam and I jumping for joy when we found the turkey egg! I love turkey eggs, but only because Joanna introduced me to them. They make the best pastry crusts, and taste great all on their own (very bold flavor). However, Sam wanted to include it in our casserole, so I added it to the mix.

Mike and I have started working towards moving onto some of my inlaws property. It's been sitting there waiting for us for several years but it needs a road, well, etc. Mike doesn't take the lead on things, "whatever you want to do" is want I hear. He is an excellent hand but no boss. So, I have gotten in the mindset that I'm ready to give it a whirl. This land will be closer to my office. Future office that is, we're starting to build a new facility, one reason I have been so busy - new facility, compliance report, FY09/10 Grant Application, contractors, blah, blah, blah. I want to hear some baa, baa, baa. When I pull up in the driveway at night, I do get to hear it, makes my day.

7 comments:

Boozy Tooth said...

I never had a turkey egg! I'm jealous. You know, everyone looked at me like I had three heads when I told them I tried one of LuLu's (my pet duck's) eggs. It was so rich and delicious. I only ever ate one though because everyone was kind of freaked out by it.

Jennifer said...

I have never tried a turkey egg either, might have too someday now. Those maran eggs are gorgeous, where did you get the layers of those eggs from? I recently read on someone else's blog that their marans from McMurray hatchery didn't have very dark eggs at all, but yours is chocolate colored and beautiful!

Unknown said...

I love turkey eggs, goose eggs, duck eggs all eggs! I never ate them til I started raising them. For the most part you really can't tell when your baking with them. Fresh eggs are just so much better and more convienent. I don't know what I'd do without my girls!

Amy said...

I really understand what you're saying Joanna! I would much rather spend my time doing the things I want to do instead of having to work for someone else. Hopefully our gun shop will take off and be able to support us in the future. At this point, we're still in the fledgling stage. I would love to try turkey eggs. Heck, I'd be happy if my two hen ducks would lay eggs for me to try too. Silly girls! They're too busy splashing around in the pond to lay eggs.

Alison said...

BAAA, BAAA!!!

There ya go! :)

I just posted about Miss Chef making really yummy pancakes, and I wonder if part of the goodness was from eggs we had from the farmers' market. They were not fresh at all, 'cause we'd had them for a while, but the batter was a richer yellow than usual.

I never appreciated the extra flavor of fresh eggs when I was growing up, 'cause that was all I knew! And now that I can appreciate it, I can't have chickens! Dangit!

Jennifer said...

Thank you for the links and information on Marans you left on my blog. I really appreciate it.

Teesa said...

Oooh, I'm so excited to get quoted on your blog! There was a comment was left on my blog for you today. :)

Keep those eggs a comin'!!! I can't believe someone would be grossed out by duck eggs, Alix! When we lived in China, we ate duck eggs all the time. When they're hardboiled, the yolks look so amazingly orange. But they're so delicious! Joanna's turkey eggs were the first I'd ever eaten, which is kind of a surprised, since I've eaten some crazy stuff.