Friday, February 27, 2009

a Quantum Leap

As I was saying, the inlaws gave us some landIt high on a hill set in the woods, connected to their property. It does have somewhat of a road up in there. Especially since I started following the adventures of Jackie Clay , I've always wanted to get closer to Mother Earth. I feel like the more I downsize, the closer I can get. The journey may start as soon as April 1st, heck, I'm not getting any younger and I'm certainly out of shape, especially since I busted my ankle in July '08, I really got in bad shape after that. So, I want to get healthier along the way.

Jackie Clay's books
Chickens: A beginner's handbook
Starting Over
Dairy Goats: A beginner's handbook
Self-reliance: Recession-proof your pantry


This is a used 2006 Terry Quantum that I've found approx 1 hour away.




a washer/dryer will be in the place of the rear door


I'm still talking to the saleman but to add heated water tanks, washerdryer, plumbing for WD, generator, and new mattress.

has a 21ft awning



















I like the blue interior
So what do y'all think about us, poultry, and goats moving to the woods? I may make some camping spots up there, and when the campers wake up in the morning, they collect they own eggs, and milk the goats for their breakfast. After that, we take a llama hike around the property. Does that sound fun or what? Give me some more fun camper idea's.

10 comments:

Alison said...

Ooo, ooo, sounds cool! Young campers might enjoy feeding the animals, too; also include brushing or other grooming, maybe.

You could plant some berry bushes or other harvestables, and make that part of the experience.

You could do photography-centered hikes. Night hikes? Bird-watching weekends during migration periods?

I am full of ideas, because I live close enough to come camping, and Miss Chef has been wanting to take me camping for years!

Say...are you in an area that's good for wine grapes? Stomp, stomp, stomp! :) Or, well, you could just make jam.

Christy said...

It sounds like a fun idea!

Unknown said...

I spy a vanity or other counter for SweetPea to stand on while she looks outside, keeping an eye on the campers. That looks cool! When I was a kid we lived in one of the really old (40s style) trailers for several years. I second all the ideas Flartus has - and add some campfire nights with animal stories.

Nancy

Amy said...

Well that's certainly liveable! But where will the goats and chickens and turkeys sleep??? I'm excited for you!

Claire MW said...

OK, forgive me for being the party pooper, but do you want to be cleaning up after campers who leave their trash on your property, have drunken parties, possibly set things on fire with their poorly designed campfires, bring in their potentially badly behaved children who feed your goats pencil erasers or worse, and generally leaving your property in a worse shape than when they arrived? That would not be my idea of a good situation, but maybe I'm just old and cynical. If so, I apologize!

Mary Humphrey said...

Joanna, I can feel your enthusiasm, and I cannot wait to read more stories about your new adventures in life!

Twisted Fencepost said...

The camper is beautiful! Looks like it has a couple of slides. Mine does not. I SO need a bigger camper. But for now, it works. Boo is getting BIGGER and he's outgrown the beds.
My Captain would love to open our own campground. It's a retirement dream of his.
Goodluck!

Lucy and Ethel said...

Oh, Joanna, that sounds like a terrific idea! Folks would come just to see you and Mike; the critter stuff would be a bonus :)

The camper is beautiful!

Speaking from experience with our cabin, most folks are really good about keeping it clean, especially if they want to come back... and your campers definitely would! Actually, they wouldn't want to leave.

Any names yet???

Can't wait to hear more!

Cheers -
Helen/'Lucy'

Mary Humphrey said...

When Bob and I lived in Missouri, we had an older camper trailer. Joanna, it did not look like much on the outside, but it was wonderful on the inside. I paid less than $3,000.00 cash for it. It had cedar lined closets, no fake wood, a full sized pull out couch, a wonderful stuffed chair, full sized bedroom, a decent bathroom, beautiful carpet, lots of storage, heating, cooling, gas range, microwave, stereo...well...enough on that, but the bargains are out there. I loved that trailer. You might be able to find one like that, in mind condition, and spend more on your critter farm! Watch for campers that seem to sit without use, you might get surprised.

By the way, my husband naps too, but he is really good about helping me when I need it around here. I do most of the work because that is who I am, the goat shepherd. I loved your "napper" comments! :)

Unknown said...

okay, maybe i missed a post somewhere but I am confused. Is this trailer going to be while you are building a new home on the property or is this to be the new home and your your selling your current home?